The Alpha Kappa chapter of Phi Mu was founded on November 19th, 1939. Our installation was completed at the Fort Sumter Hotel (now a private residence, at 1 King Street) by Alice Miller (the Phi Mu National President at the time). There were 17 collegiate and 13 alumnae initiates. In 1971, Alpha Kappa received our current house, located at 32 Coming Street, from the College of Charleston. We were the 3rd sorority at the College of Charleston.
Our chapter even had a history before Phi Mu! In 1927, a local Charleston sorority, Pi Gamma Chi, merged with another sorority, Alpha Delta Theta on March 24th, 1934. A few years later, the Alpha Alpha chapter of Alpha Delta Theta merged with Phi Mu in 1939 to become the Alpha Kappa chapter!
We have also contributed to Phi Mu nationally. Due to the hard work of one of our own chapter members who presented a new philanthropy option to Phi Mu National Council, Phi Mu adopted Children's Miracle Network Hospitals as their national philanthropy in the 1980s.